11 July 2013
Documents relating to the “Can we talk…about mental illness and suicide?” Report. Specifically:
• Documents outlining the Commission’s objectives for the research and the Report.
• All documents relating to the initial approach by Think Insight & Advice (hereafter referred to as ‘Think’), subsequent interactions with Think prior to presentation of their proposal, including information provided to assist Think construct a proposal to the Commission.
• Those parts of Think’s proposal to the Commission relating to the research objectives and methodology.
• Documents relating to the selection of and invitations to other research companies to provide a proposal to conduct the research for the Report, in particular the research brief provided to research companies.
• Documents relating to how the Think proposal was appraised against the Commission’s objectives.
• The contract with Think.
• Documents pertaining to all cost components of the research and Report.
• Documents describing the research methods and data analysis methods.
• Documents pertaining to instructions to Think as to the language or writing style and how the data were to be presented in the Report.
Seventeen (17) documents and attachments:
1. Email from the Director of Policy, Strategy and Projects (Director PSP) of National Mental Health Commission (NMHC) to GFK Blue Moon Research and Planning
2. Email from Director PSP of NMHC to Ipsos Social Research Institute
3. Email exchange from Commissioner Mostyn to NMHC CEO and exchanges between NMHC staff
4. Think Insight and Advice summary of the company
5. Introductory email from Director PSP to Randall Pearce
6. Introductory exchange between Director of PSP and Randall Pearce
7. Outlook calendar conference call with Randall Pearce
8. Email from Randal Pearce follow up after teleconference to NMHC staff
9. Email with attachments from Randall Pearce and exchange with Director PSP on panels
9A. Attachment: ‘commercial in confidence’ Mental Health; Community check-up proposal (1)
10. Simple procurement form
11. ‘commercial in confidence’ Mental Health; Community check-up proposal (2)
12. ‘commercial in confidence’ Mental Health; Community check-up proposal (3)
13. ‘commercial in confidence’ Mental Health; Community check-up proposal (4)FINAL
13A. Attachment: Study design
13B. Attachment: Contract
14. Email from Randal Pearce to Director PSP with discussion group distribution
14A. Attachment: Group distribution tables by state/are and researcher
15. Email exchange from Randal Pierce and Commission staff on the draft thought starter
16. Email exchange From Director PSP to Randall Pearce on Mileage costs
17. Email Exchange between Randall Pearce and Director PSP
Published 24 July 2013
Released with deletions on the basis of public interest conditional exemption – personal privacy; section 47F(1) of the Freedom of Information Act 1982.
Download a version of these documents here. (PDF 3Mb)
"Even the most disadvantaged Australians should be able to lead a 'contributing life,' whatever that means for them and this simple goal will be our touchstone and yardstick."
Chair Prof Allan Fels AO
National Mental Health Commission